Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Build the Perfect Main Camp Pack

Tips to help you build the perfect main camping pack

by Karen Pierce AKA KayakChic, experienced outdoor enthusiast.Updated: 7-23-14



Life is Good :)

This is one post of a series in the blog titled 
"Camping, Kayaking and Outdoor Gear" at http://backroadrivers.blogspot.com/. All posts have tips, techniques and product reviews from personal experience and knowledge. 

Blog Sections:
Steps to Build your Main Pack
Main Pack Styles
Appliances
Cookware & Dishes
Utensils
Misc Pack Items
Exterior Pack Attachments
Additional Pack Items Idea's
Insect Repellent


Steps to Build your Main Pack


Things will go smoother and omits re-purchasing like items of different types, if you simply think ahead before you start building the perfect camp pack. Make your decisions in this order:

1) Decide what type of pack to design
- Car or Tent Camping
- Solo or Family Camping
- Full Backpacker's Set Up
- Primitive or Electric Camping

My pack is for car or tent camping, consisting of kitchen & basic camp essentials for 1-3 people with propane appliances. All housed in a heavy canvas pack. Since propane cylinders are large, they are not stored inside the pack itself but rather placed in a separate bag and attached to outside pack handle.

Butane and other stove types will reduce the bulk and possibly allow fuel to be carried in the pack as well. It's your choice so you decide. Your personal budget may be the biggest factor to consider, as the really cool stuff comes with a hefty price tag. I've given examples for all prices ranges to help you make decisions.


2) Choose your fuel type or power source
- Propane
- Butane
- White Liquid Gas
- Unleaded Gas
- Kerosene
- Alcohol
- Esbit Solid Fuel Tabs
- Electric
- Battery & Rechargables

Fuel Supply Availability:
It's a good idea to also take fuel supply into consideration when picking out your stove.  Rural area's doesn't always have supplies available if you should need to replenish your stock. In the Ozark Mountains where I live, I would have to travel 30-50 miles to buy esbit tabs or a butane bottle for those fancy little backpacking stoves. I chose propane for the wide availability at nearly every gas station in my region and also for a safety feature so that my young child isn't around liquid fuel. So, propane is the most ideal solution for me.

One Fuel for All:
Back in the day, I had the classic pump and prime white gas Coleman stove, a propane lantern, and lights and devices that used all different kinds of batteries.  As times changed, my pack has evolved in a more compact and efficient manor.  I selected propane as my fuel and only bought propane powered appliances so that I don't have to  pack around all kinds of fuel for different products.

One Battery Type for All: 
After efficient LED lights came around, I try to buy all battery powered items that use one type of battery.  The box of AA batteries I keep on hand will replenish numerous products at camp, like flashlights, headlamps, radio's, lighting etc. Rechargeables are now taking over, which is fine if you have power available to recharge. Careful product investigation allowed me to choose products that that are both rechargeable AND battery powered. It's worth the extra initial cost when you run out of juice in the middle of the forest.

I also chose the Coleman CPX6 system for larger items at base camp, which has interchangeable battery cartridges among devices with choice of battery or rechargeable. This is discussed in the Complete Tent Buyers Guide blog in the Car Camping Section.

3) Choose your appliances
- Stove
- Lantern
- Flashlights/Headlamps/Lighting

*I chose a one burner propane stove and a one mantle propane lantern. All battery pack lighting uses AA batteries.

4) Choose your pack
 - Make a diagram for pre-planning
 - Decide if you want bedding or clothing
    in the pack to determine what size you will need
- Decide the style of pack
- Decide what construction material to select

*I chose a heavy duty canvas pack by Orvis, as I mainly do car or tent camping.

5) Choose your essentials
-Pick items that have multi-purposes
-Pick nesting, folding or telescoping items
-Save/Reuse all trial size and mini size containers
-Consider item weight & durability:
     Steel:  Heaviest
     Enamelware:  Plated steel, heavy, rustproof until chipped
     Stainless Steel: Heavy
     Aluminum: Lightweight, less durable
     Aluminum Alloy: Hard, anodized, excellent durability
     Titanium: Lightweight, durable, expensive
     Plastic: Lightweight, cheap
     Polypropylene: Durable Acetal plastic, heat resistant
     Tritan™ copolyester Plastic: heat-resistant, durable
     Food-grade Nylon: high melting point, strong & rigid

Aluminum Note: 
Some bad reviews state that items are made from thin cheap aluminum. Well...it's meant to be that way! Because its super lightweight and heats quickly which in turn conserves fuel. Alum dishes are not heavy duty and designed to be that way.  



MAIN PACK STYLES



Outdoor Products
Canvas & Bullhide Backpack
Size: 18"H x 14"W x 7"D
Price: $200 at www.orvis.com
Monogramming Available

My main camping backpack stays ready to go at anytime and has everything I need for 2+ people.  If it's a spur of the moment outing or just to tote around in the car for those unplanned trips, I can count on my main pack to get me through.  If there are more people joining me, then more gear or larger items will be needed but I still bring this pack along in case there was anything I may have forgotten.

My pack is not a backpacker's pack, for it is not lightweight by any means, but it could be transformed to suit individual needs. First off, my Orvis backpack is made of heavy canvas and leather for a durable long lasting pack year after year.  Second, it's a medium size that does not accommodate bedding or clothing. Lastly, the items inside are propane fueled and not necessarily the smallest, lightest products available. I will make notes for other options more suitable for the backpackers to alleviate weight.

Start by picking out your size and style of pack and then fill it accordingly to suite your own needs. Choose the type and size of items that will nicely fill the space. I prefer a pack with lots of compartments, pockets and zippers to fully take advantage of organization of all those numerous tiny little items.  I personally don't like to dump out the entire pack just to find what I'm looking for.  My heavy canvas backpack is sturdy enough to stand up on its own and not fall over when the flap is open.  It's like opening the cabinet door and I can easily retrieve whatever I need in any situation and then put it back in its original spot.


Outdoor Products

My Orvis pack is actually a business model, that's made to fit a laptop computer and office supplies.  I find this layout useful, as the dividers and compartments are handy for organizing all my stuff and makes it easy to find and repack items during camp out.

Some lightweight nylon packs will constantly fall over if the outer pockets are stuffed too much.  Single compartment bag-type packs will become a huge cluttered mess to dig through on a regular basis.  I like to keep the annoyances at a minimum myself, but my pack is not really meant to take hiking either.  Choose your most common outdoor style and start from there.



The list of items in my med size pack may seem over extensive to some, but it's about the product size, multi-use items and just has everything needed for an overall camping experience...all in one bag. 

APPLIANCES



The propane stove and lantern in my pack are relatively small when you take off the propane tank, so the fuel is the bulk of these appliances. I have used both of these for many years without fail.


Outdoor Products

Coleman One Burner Propane Stove
Price $40 at www.coleman.com




Coleman One Mantle Propane Lantern
Price $30 at www.coleman.com


Outdoor Products

Coleman Lantern Hanger (in base camp pack).
Chain wraps around any tree or pole, so limbs are not required to hang your lantern. Price: $5 at www.walmart.com


OTHER FUEL TYPE OPTIONS..........


Outdoor Products

Esbit Solid Fuel Stove & Cookset
Price: $30 at www.rei.com

Jetboil Butane Stove & Cookset
Price: $100 at www.rei.com
Outdoor Products
MSR Whisperlight White Gas Stove
Price: $100 at www.rei.com
Outdoor Products
Triangia Alcohol Stove Cookset
Price: $35 at www.rei.com


OR make your own ultra light alcohol stove from an aluminum can! One popular design is the Penny Stove. This brings on a whole new topic for yet another blog post in this outdoor series.

DISHES



Aluminum 9 cup Coffee Percolator 

This is my old faithful vintage Mirro coffee pot percolator that's been with me most of my adult life. It shows its age and use by the imperfections acquired over the years, with slight dents and scratches in the thin aluminum.  But it's been a favorite for it's light weight and it's perfect size. 

A 1 liter water bottle fills it perfectly and the bottle fits in the mesh drink holder pocket on the side of my pack. It makes enough coffee to fill a full size Stanley thermos or if solely using my main pack, it fills a tall insulated go cup and a small thermos.  As I previously stated, this doubles as a cook pot as well.  Small essentials like dish soap and rags could also be stored inside the coffee pot to conserve space. 

Outdoor Products

Outdoor Products Outdoor Products

Outdoor Products Outdoor Products





Vintage Mirro 9 cup models like mine
     can be found on eBay for about $20.
New models around $30 may now be under the names of
    "T-Fal/Wearever 5509000 Comet 9-Cup Percolator".
Farberware Yosemite 8 Cup heavy Stainless Steel
    found everywhere for around $30
Ecolution 9 Cup Aluminum Percolator 
     Price: $23 at Walmart


Tip for Percolators:
Sometimes clean up can be a hassle.  For my 9 cup coffee pot, I use 3-4 Maxwell House single serve bags (like tea bags) or Folgers Mini Pods.  This not only omits cleaning out the loose coffee grounds in the tray, but it traps all the coffee bean oils that line the interior of the pot.  You can simply rinse with water and swipe with a towel. Soap is optional. They make special filters for the percolator tray as well, but I find them to be kind of a pain and doesn't work as well.  If you have a larger pot, then use 2 Maxwell House Filter Packs for the mini drip coffee makers (like in motels).  Walmart carries these, and it's in a tall box type package. Either way, there's no need for scoopers, measuring, filters or mess and either one will fit flat inside your pack.


Tip for Glass Tops:
It's inevitable that any glass will get broken in the camp gear.  I freaked out when I opened my pack and found that the glass top on my percolator had cracked.  Luckily I found replacements at a local flea market and bought all 3 available so I would have a back up. I now wrap the glass in a cloth and put it inside the basket for storage. I roll up a hot pad beside it for extra protection. New glass top replacements by Fitz-All®  are $4 at www.acehardware.com with two different sizes available. I would look at the manufacturer site first to see if one's available specifically for your brand and model.  Universal and generic parts doesn't always work out for me.


Percolator Bottom Line:
You could go with a smaller pot if your short on pack space, but the 9 cup is perfect for me as I enjoy several cups of java in the mornings outdoors. You could go with a more sturdy material like stainless steel, but I prefer the lightweight aluminum. Another coffee option is the French Press, if you do not wish to have a percolator or use the backpacker stove setup. I personally wouldn't trade my vintage aluminum 9 cup for anything.

In my own pack, I simply put in 3 single serve coffee packets, empty the water bottle, perc & drink coffee, rinse out percolator and repack.



Outdoor Products

Aluminum Backpackers Nesting Mess Kit
Price: $10 at www.coleman.com

*Small Skillet with detachable handle
*Small Pot with lid
*Small Plate
*Small Plastic Cup with handle

Other Mess Kit Options:

Texsport makes a Stainless Steel Version (heavier)
     $22 at www.basspro.com
GSI has great backpacker sets in many designs (all types)
     $50-$100 at www.basspro.com
Snowpeak offers nice titanium versions (sturdy lightweight)
     $100 at www.rei.com
Jetboil makes the ultimate backpackers system
     $100 for stove + cooking cup at www.rei.com


Bottom Line:
I decided to go with the light weight aluminum cheap-O set, add a small Teflon skillet behind the stack and since I prefer to use a coffee percolator, I can also use it for a larger cooking pot as well. This set up works fine for me. I cook all breakfast foods in the Teflon skillet, heat up soups in the little pot, boil pasta and rice in the coffee pot, have 2 alum plates, an extra cup and still have a nice cup of perc coffee in the morning.

Mini Pot Warning:
The small pots with a swing handle in the middle must be handled carefully.  If the food or liquid is not perfectly level in the pan, then the pan will tip when you pick it up by the center handle, thus spilling your food onto the ground.


Outdoor Products Outdoor Products

I use a long handled hot pot gripper to clamp onto the side of the pot instead of using the swing handle. Problem solved! I also have a small silicone gripper from a kitchen store if you are looking to conserve space. This would fit inside the pot itself for storage. A last alternative to handling hot pots is to use leather gloves.
Stanley Outdoor Mug

In the back flat pocket of my pack, I keep a small stack of paper plates along with a small cutting board and a flexible cutting board sheet used for food prep/spoon rest.
I generally use the alum mess kit for plates & bowls and typically just eat out of the cooking pan when I'm solo. But I also have the double duty Eddie Bauer nesting mug set that offers 2 bowls or 2 lg mugs with handles and one sipping lid. (Stanley makes a comparable model).

Inside the mug I stow a few essentials for cooking and cleanup. 3 mini bottles of dish soap, hand sanitizer and cooking oil. These mini bottles were originally a pack of travel hand sanitizers that I'm reusing. 1/2 of a sponge, a dish rag and a net bag for a dish drainer.



Dish Drainer Tip:
I purchased a set of thin net bags with a draw string from Lowes.  I use these as a dish drainer.  It keeps all the little items together, keeps all the tree and bug debris off and can even submerge the entire bag in a fresh water river to rinse the soap off everything at once.  Hang the bag in the sun for quick drying time.

Outdoor Products


The Kitchen Sink by Sea to Summit

Price $20-30 at www.rei.com

And yes, I even have "The Kitchen Sink" in my pack! Sea to Summit makes a collapsible soft sided bin that folds up in a small mesh bag. Available in 5-10-20 liter sizes. It works like one of those swimming pools with an inflatable top ring.  It's merely a bag that erects when full of water and has a ring at the top to hold its bowl shape. 

Other Dish Options:



Outdoor Products Outdoor Products


REI Nesting Tableware Set - Service for 4

4 bowls, 4 plates, 4 cups, 4 utensil sets, wash bin, drying rack, cutting board. Nests neatly in a square multi use box 10 x 9.25 x 3.25. Price: $40 only at www.rei.com.

UTENSILS & FLATWARE



Large Serving Spoon
Spatula-flexible tip
Tongs-self locking
Hot Pot Gripper-long handled
Filet Knife-long blade, leather sleeve
Filet Knife-short blade, leather sleeve
Pocket Knife-locking blade
Can Opener
Cork Screw/Bottle Opener
Toothpicks
Plastic Flatware-in pencil bag


Campfire Hot Dog Forks-Retractable:
I know, whittle a stick right? Well, I am often times on the river or in a tall pine forest where small green branches are not necessarily available. Plus, cooking a dog in a matter of seconds is worth its weight in gold sometimes! Shopping Tip: Look at dollar shops and bargain sections at stores.  The cheaper they are the smaller are, as a general rule. I found these very packable forks at Dollar Tree and they actually expand to a pretty long length. 

Tip for sharp objects in your pack:
Save tube like containers to slide the sharp ends into so that they don't cut through your pack. "M&M mini's" and "Save the Earth Gum" plastic containers work great.




2 Folding Fork/Spoon/Knife sets:
Since these type of sets contain all your basics, you could omit a few other essentials like a can opener if you needed.  I on the other hand am too old and too impatient to spend any amount of time trying to pry open the lid of a soup can!  I carry these just for the fork, knife and spoon, which snap together and fold up in a small space. Note the knife and fork are on separate handles, in case you have a chunk of meat to cut. 

Outdoor Products     
Stainless Steel Hobo Tool 
by Ozark Trail
Price: $4 ea at Walmart


Salt & Pepper Shaker:

This backpackers special is ideal for a bit of salt & pepper with your meals.  I once bought a whole bunch of these to make a portable spice rack, but that didn't work out too well.  Obviously the seal is not tight enough for certain types of spices, which will draw moisture and clump up. This is especially true for chicken and beef broth granules. Seems to work fine for salt and pepper though. 

Outdoor Products
Salt/Pepper-Dual Shaker
Price: $2 at Walmart or Coleman


Opener Options: 
The Swiss Army Knife, Hobo Tool or Multi-Tool should have a can opener, bottle opener and cork screw built in. I prefer to have a full size can opener and a full size cork screw, but if one should ever break I always have an emergency back up. 

Other Flatware Options:
3 pc nesting fork/spoon/knife sets available. 16 pc polycarbonate flatware sets under $10. Backpackers options at www.rei.com like the titanium Spork $10 and Snow Peak combo spork/spatula $16.




MISC PACK ITEMS



Headlamp:
Note: My 4 lamp LED is fine for close up pilfering, but my non LED headlamp projects a much farther distance into the darkness. Unsure about all the brand comparisons. I do have to say my LED MAG light shines farther than the old style one.  Just be aware of differences. If you wear hats, there is a small clip on light or even better, a cap that has built in lights in the bill. I bought one for my dad at Lowes and it was surprisingly awesome! LL Bean and Walmart sells them too.

LED Mini Lantern:
Lots to choose from in this category.  Although I have my propane lantern for general lighting, this little battery lantern serves its purpose during camp.  It has a back shield that slides up so that blinding light can be avoided.  Great for car camping, has a hanger for the tent or just general purpose lighting. Tip: A sleeve for sunglasses fits snugly over the lens for protection. 


Mini Micropaker LED Micropacker
Price: $15 at www.coleman.com


Clothesline w/ a Rope Ratchet:
The things I come up with when broken items never get thrown away! I made a recycled clothesline from guy line ropes I salvaged from a broken canopy and the racket I saved from a wore out rope tie down (not the flat nylon strap type). Attach a long length of rope to a rope ratchet on one end and make a semi-large loop knot on the other end. Thread the rachet end through the loop around a tree or pole and then simply pull the ratchet on the other end to tighten. This makes a quick and easy clothesline for wet towels, clothes, etc. Make a single line for long spans, or double lines for a short span between trees. I got the idea from just using any style ratchet tie downs in the 1st place, but most are relatively short in length so had to bind several together. 




Roll of Nylon Twine
Long Handled Lighter
Windproof Torch Lighter
Zippo Lighter Fluid- for firestarter
Mini DeSolve It-for degreaser
Kleenyx-Mini Travel Pack
Wet Wipes-Mini Travel Pack
Plastic Grocery Sacks-for trash bags



EXTERIOR PACK ATTACHMENTS


2 pk Propane Bottles:
Fits perfectly in a zippered soft sided lunch box for easy toting. If need be, use a large carabiner clip to attach to the hand loop on the pack.




Ground Blanket/Nylon Tarp/Flannel Blanket:
Very thin, lightweight, folds into a small pack and has multi-purposes. Comes with 4 ground stakes, as it will fly away in the wind.


Outdoor Products


ABO Ground Hog Outdoor Blanket
$40 at www.ABOgear.com (no longer offered)
$25 at www.sierratradingpost.com (closeout)


Coleman makes an affordable ($6 at www.academy.com) side compression sack for sleeping bags that sheds water and has a carabiner clip to attach to pack. Add the fold n' go travel pillow to complete your bed. Sea to Summit makes high quality roll top waterproof bags and top compression bags available at www.rei.com or any major outdoor store.

Outdoor Products Outdoor Products Outdoor Products



ADDITIONAL PACK ITEM IDEA'S


Since I am an avid outdoor play person, I keep numerous items in my vehicle at all times.  "Normal" people who doesn't drive a stocked safari 4x4 may want to include some of these items in their main pack. Your pack size will determine how many things will fit.


Outdoor Products

Wood Hauling Strap:
Take a section of rope or salvage the nylon strap from a broken ratchet tie down and make a small loop on one end.  Thread the other end through to make a slip loop. This is perfect for gathering piles of kindling and small sticks as the slip loop will adjust as you add to it. You can then just pick up the pile by the "handle" and carry the bound pile with one arm or throw it over your shoulder. Put the loop around a large log to pull it out of debris, up a steep hill or to even to drag it back to camp. Leather gloves will help your hands during a heavy load. A simple but must have item in my pack.

1st Aid Kit - Nissan Xterra SUV's have one built in! :)
     Bare Minimum: 
    * Itch Relief (poison ivy / bug bites)
    - Chapstick size=Burt's Bees Outdoor Bug Bite Relief
     - Spray Bottle=Benadryl Itch Relief
    * Aloe Gel (sunburn/fire burns)
    * Benadryl Pills (allergic emergency)
     - Chewables available for all ages
    * Band-Aids (with butterfly's for skin cuts)
    * Neosporin (Antibiotic for cuts)
    * Pain Reliever (and fever reducer)
    * Note: Hand Sanitizer contains Alcohol (for sterilization)

Insect Repellent (see details below)
Sunscreen
Multi-Tool
Walkie Talkies-for weather radio
Compass / GPS
River/Forest Maps
Lg Mag Light
Leather Work Gloves
Vehicle Window Screens
    (See car camping section of Complete Tent Buyers Guide)
Extra Battery Stock
Waterproof Matches 
     or matches in waterproof matchbox
Emergency Foil Blanket
Disposable Poncho
Roll of Toilet Paper
Paper Napkins
Lg Soft Packet Wet Wipes
     or individually wrapped WetOnes
Repair & Patch Kits
     Nylon / Vinyl / Duct Tape / Sewing

INSECT REPELLENT


Besides the itchy bites and annoyance from bugs, there's the threat of contracting a serious illness too.  Ticks carry Lyme disease and mosquitoes spread serious illnesses such as West Nile virus and malaria.

It's a general rule now days that if a product works, they will quit making it!  It is my opinion, that the only ingredient that truly keeps ticks, chiggers and mosquito's away is DEET, the chemical repellent N-diethyl-meta-toluamide. The higher the percentage the better right?   From what I've read, choose no more than 30% DEET for long lasting protection with minimal health risks. Gadgets and devices do not work. A few Organic products and herbal remedies may slightly work and will have to be reapplied frequently.


Bug Spray Bottom Line:
Once you have had your entire ankle consumed by chiggers or had a ball of seed ticks fall on your from a brushed tree limb...you will be a believer of DEET as well. Its up to you what you should put on your children. I choose to not have my son wake up with 100 bug bites on his body. Consistent reports I have read on the net say to not use over 30% DEET concentration to stay in a safe health risk zone.

Top Rated Repellants: Consumer Reports


1) OFF! Deep Woods Sportsmen II or IV - 30% deet (blue)
    Lasts: 8+ Hours

    * OFF! Deep Woods Sportsmen - 25% deet (blue)
    Price: $5 Size: 6 oz Pump Spray
    *Deep Woods Sportsmen I
    Mini 1 oz spray 95% Deet

    * OFF! Deep Woods - 30% deet (green)
    Price: $5 Size: 6 oz Aerosol
    Price: $7.50 Size: 11 oz Aerosol
    Price: $8 Size: 9 oz Pump Spray-25%
    I personally use this one with good results.
    ABC News Results: 2 hours, up to 6 hrs.
    Reviews say "Dry" version stains.

2) Cutter Backwoods - 23% deet (green/orange lid)
    Price: $7 walgreens  Size: 6 oz Aerosol
    Price: $                     Size: 11 oz Aerosol
    Lasts: 8+ Hours

3) OFF! Family Care S&D - 15% deet (white/orange lid)
    From Skintastic
    Price: $5.50 Size: 4 oz Aerosol
    Price: $8.00 for 2-pk 4 oz
    Price: $3.00 Size: 2.5 oz Aerosol
    Lasts: 8+ Hours

    *OFF! Family Care - 7%
    Less Effective Liquid Spray

4) 3M Ultrathon 8 - 25% deet (Pine Trees)
    Price: $6.50 Walgreens Size: 2 oz Lotion
    Lasts: 8+ Hours
   
    *3M Ultrathon - 34.34% deet
    Price: $6.50 Size: 2 oz Lotion
    Claims: 12 hr, sweatproof

    *3M Ultrathon 8 -23.75% deet
    Price: $6 Size: 6 oz Aerosol
    Claims: 8 hours


5) Natrapel -  20% Picaridin    
    (chemical similar black pepper compound)
    Price: $6 walgreens Size: 3.4 oz pump
    $4 Amazon Size: 1 oz mini spray
    Lasts: 7 hours

    *Natrapel 8 hour - 80% Picardin (green)
    $8 Walgreens Size: 5 oz spray can
   
    *OFF! Skintastic pump spray - 5% Picardin


Organic Lemon Eucalyptus Naturals:


Repel Lemon Eucalyptus:
Contains a synthetic version of a naturally occurring chemical. Consumer Reports say it used to last 7 hours but has now been reformulated with less of the active ingredient (from 40% to 30%) thus has been taken out of the top ratings. National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says not to use the Repel product on kids younger than 3 yrs old.

It appears there are no choices available with 40% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus that Consumer Reports once ranked so highly. Here are the choices now:

Repel Old Version: Discontinued by manufacture
40% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus (65% p-menthane-3,8 diol)
Repel Reformulated Version:
30% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus (65% p-menthane-3,8 diol)
Price: $7 Size: 4 oz pump spray

Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus
30% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus (65% p-menthane-3,8 diol)
Price: $5 Size: 4 oz Pump Spray

Coleman Botanicals Insect Repellent 
30.9% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus (65% p-menthane-3,8 diol)Price: Size: 4 oz Pump Spray


High Concentrate DEET: Over 30%


1) Off! Deep Woods Sportsmen-98% deet
    mini pump spray

2) Jungle Juice-100% deet
    Small Liquid Bottle
3) Repel Sportsmen Max - 40% deet (green)
    Aerosol Spray


Low or Ineffective Repellants:



1) Garlic or vitamin B1 pills
    Consumer Report Results: Fail

2) Cutter Skinsations - 7% deet
    Price: $4 Size: 6oz Liq Spray
    ABC News Results: 1 hour
    Consumer Reports: 4 hours

3) Off! Botanicals Lotion w/eucalyptus oil derivative
    ABC News Results: 1 hr 45 min

4) Lentek "Mosquito Contro Plus" buzzing wrist band
    ABC News Results: Fail
    Consumer Report say no wrist band works
    Price: $20

5) Off! Clip-on Device: Metofluthrin
    Consumer Report Results: Fail.
    Poses nervous system risk.


Repellent Sources:

*ABC News Mosquito Repellent Test Results:
This study is not scientific nor does it promote specific brands. It is a simple test of applying the product and sticking their arm in a cage full of mosquito's.  Sounds like a good test to me! DEET: ABC News quote... "Parents should know, however, that while most experts say DEET products are safe, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children only use products with less than 10 percent DEET." http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=126006


*Consumer Reports Repellent Tests & Info:
DEET: Consumer Reports quote... "Products with 95 percent or more deet have been linked with serious side effects, including seizures, slurred speech, and coma. It can also cause eye irritation and allergic reactions. Our experts recommend using no more than 30 percent deet, ever. Instead, reapply a product with 15 percent deet (such as Off FamilyCare Smooth & Dry spray) and use it sparingly. Each application will protect you from mosquito and tick bites for at least 8 hours. Children, seniors, and people with weakened immune systems should use deet only with extra caution. The American Academy of Pediatrics says not to use it at all on infants younger than 2 months." http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/05/best-way-to-stop-bug-bites/index.htm


CONCLUSION


Your main pack is an extension of you. Build it as you please and fill it with all the happy little things that make your outdoor experience a pleasant one. 




Go Out and Play!




1 comment:

  1. This is very helpfull to me.you are such as a perfect blogger.I found here more inspiration to continue my service as well. https://www.campinggoal.com/

    ReplyDelete